What I love about making fried rice is that you can easily make your own variations of it and play around with recipes. I came up with this recipe of Toasted Sesame Tofu Fried Rice from a similar dish I cooked earlier with noodles. This Tofu Fried Rice also includes vegetables like Broccoli, Mushrooms and Red Bell Peppers. The best part about this recipe lies in the sauce that is used to marinate the Tofu. I love the simplicity of a good old fried rice, and this particular recipe has wonderful flavors and I’m sure you would totally love it.
Ingredients (Serves 1-2)
75g-100g Tofu (cut into bite-size cubes)
3/4 tsp Paprika Powder
1 tsp Garlic Powder
1 tsp Toasted Sesame Seed Oil
1 tbsp Light Soy Sauce
1 tsp Oyster Sauce
1/2 tsp Fish Sauce
1 tsp Mirin (can use rice wine vinegar instead)
1/2 tsp Honey
1/2 Lemon (squeezed)
Salt and Pepper to taste
3/4 cup Rice
2 cups Water
6-7 Mushrooms (chopped in half)
1/4 Red Bell Pepper (diced)
3 Small Green Onions (chopped)
1 tsp Ginger (grated)
3-4 Garlic Cloves (chopped)
1 tbsp Roasted Sesame Seeds
1 tbsp Roasted Peanuts
1. Start with marinating your tofu in paprika powder, garlic powder, sesame seed oil, light soy sauce, oyster sauce, fish sauce, mirin, lemon, salt and pepper. Let the tofu absorb the marination well. Let it sit for 10-15 mins.
2. Then move onto boiling your rice in water for about 5-10 mins on high heat. Once boiled, let it cool down & keep aside.
3. Take a pan and heat a little oil in it. As the oil heats, first add your mushrooms and let it cook on high heat for 5-6 minutes till slightly cooked and the edges are golden brown. Add salt and pepper while doing so. Once done, remove from pan and keep aside.
4. Using the same pan, take your tofu and remove it from the marination sauce and let it drain off nicely. Keep the sauce aside and add your tofu to the hot pan, and let it cook for about 2-3 minutes until edges are slightly crispy and browned. Remove from pan and put aside.
5. Then add your chopped green onions, green chilli, garlic and ginger and stir-fry for a bit till the garlic and ginger lose the raw smell. Then add your vegetables like red bell peppers and broccoli, with a little salt and pepper, and stir-fry for 1-2 minutes. Add your mushrooms and mix again.
6. Then add your boiled rice to the pan, and mix with the veggies with it nicely. Take your leftover tofu marination sauce, and add to the rice. Stir around nicely till the sauce has been completely mixed and absorbed. Add your tofu now and stir again.
7. While your rice is cooking, quickly take a separate pan and add your white sesame seeds and peanuts to it and let it toast till browned.
8. As soon as you’re done with toasting, add your sesame seeds & peanuts to the rice and mix the rice well. And wohoo, you’re done!
It’s a super healthy and delicious version of Tofu Fried Rice. Makes for a good wholesome meal too!