Here’s my take on Stir Fried Udon Noodles aka Yaki Udon. I love making noodles a lot, and one of my favourite cuisine for noodles is always Japanese. I wanted to make my Stir Fried Udon Noodles the traditional Yaki Udon style with your basic vegetables like cabbage, bell peppers and a simple sauce. As always, tweaked this Stir Fried Udon Noodles recipe to add some more veggies and added more flavour to my Udon sauce.
Do try out this Stir Fried Udon Noodles recipe and I really hope you enjoy it. It’s got a wonderful balance of taste and textures, and very easy to put together. And I would highly recommend having this with Chili Garlic Oil. It’s so enjoyable with it and adds that extra umaminess to it.
Ingredients (Serves 4-5):
400g Udon Noodles
1 Cabbage (sliced)
3 Green Onions (chopped, whites & greens separated)
1 tbsp Ginger (grated)
5-6 Garlic Cloves (large cloves, chopped)
1 tsp Red Chilli Flakes
4-5 Peppercorns (Crushed)
2 tbsp Butter
1 Red Bell Pepper (thinly sliced)
1 Yellow Zucchini (thinly sliced)
1 Carrot (thinly sliced)
7-8 Baby Corn (thinly sliced)
1 tbsp Olive Oil
Stir Fry Udon Sauce (Makes 1/4 Cup):
2 tbsp Dark Soy Sauce
2 tbsp Toasted Sesame Oil
1 tbsp Mirin (use apple cider vinegar alternatively)
1 tbsp Sriracha Sauce
1/2 tbsp Honey
Recommended Accompaniment:Chilli Garlic Oil
- Start with boiling your udon noodles in boiling salted water for about 5 minutes up till 90% cooked. Shock in cold water once boiled, sprinkle some salt and keep aside.
- Now take a large & deep wok, heat 2 tbsp Butter and once melted, add your chopped green onions and chili flakes and cook for about 1-2 minutes till the onions soften. Add 1 tbsp Olive Oil.
- Then add your grated ginger and chopped garlic, cook for 1-2 minutes till the raw smell goes, and now add your sliced cabbage leaves and first cook on high for about 2 minutes and then cook on low heat covered for 10 minutes.
- Once the cabbage has reduced and softened slightly, throw in all your other vegetables and stir fry for about 5 minutes on high heat, add 1 tsp Salt, crushed peppercorns, add 3/4th of your Udon Sauce, stir well and then cook on low heat covered for another 5 minutes.
- Finally add your cooked noodles, toss them well till the veggies are nicely mixed and incorporated along with the sauce. Check salt for taste.6. While serving, garnish with green onions and 1 tsp Chilli Garlic Oil. Enjoy!
Looking for more noodle recipes? Check them out here.