Every Eid for the past 10+ years, our house help always gets us a big bowl of Sewiyan. It’s the sweetest thing and this Eid 2020 we wanted to make the Sewiyan for them instead. This is just our way of saying thank you for taking care of us and the house for so many years. During this lockdown, while we had to manage for ourselves, it just reminds you and makes your appreciate them so much more. And imagine it took a lockdown to bring us down to reality and showed us the mirror.
Never take anything for granted, and have utmost respect for anyone who helps you or cares for you, especially when your circumstances (if at all) are not as tough as theirs. On that note, I hope we all come out of this post Covid world as better people. You could start with something as simply cooking this for someone who needs it more than you. Or any other recipe of your liking 🙂
Ingredients (Serves 4):
1 cup Vermicelli (roasted)
4-5 cups Milk
1/4 cup Sugar
1 tsp Elaichi / Green Cardamom Powder
1/4 cup Condensed Milk
1/4 cup Cashews (slightly crushed)
1/4 cup Raisins
1/4 cup Almonds
1/4 cup Pistachios
2 tbsp Ghee
1. Take a kadhai, once hot add 1 tbsp ghee. Add your vermicelli to the kadhai and let it saute with the ghee for a minute.
2. Add your crushedcashews and raisins. Mix well with the vermicelli and saute for about 2 minutes.
3. Now add the milk gradually and keep stirring while you pour it in. Add 1/4 cup sugar, stir it and cook on medium heat. Keep stirring till the milk has reduced and the vermicelli has softened. (Tip: My mom taught me this, while the milk is cooking, scrape the extra creamy residue that forms on the edges of the kadhai and stir it with your mixture. Adds a touch of creaminess to it)
4. When the milk has reduced, add your elaichi/cardamom powder and mix well.
5. Finally, add 1/4 cup of condensed milk and mix it well. Condensed milk makes it fuller and creamier. You can avoid it and add more sugar earlier as per your preference.
6. To serve, roast your pistachios and almonds in some ghee and thengarnish with along with some raisins and serve hot or chilled.