There’s no end to creativity with cooking so I attempted a Red Wine Risotto made with Red Rice! Yes, you read that right. I wanted to make a healthier version of Risotto by not using the traditional rice like Arborio, and to my surprise this turned out wonderful. So here’s a recipe for a Red Wine Risotto made with Red Rice, Butter Mushrooms, Shredded Chicken, and topped with some Mozzarella.
I’m a big fan of Risotto and making a good one at home is a challenge considering the bar is always set high with Risottos. This one took almost an hour of continuous stirring because Red Rice takes ages to took. But it was all worth it. Looking for easier recipes, here are some.
Ingredients (Serves 4)
1 1/2 cup Red Rice
5 cups Chicken Stock
1 Cup Button Mushrooms (chopped in half)
1 Onion (finely chopped)
3 Garlic cloves (finely chopped)
1/2 cup Dry Red Wine (I used an old one lying in the fridge)
1 cup Shredded Chicken (from the stock)
2 tbsp Olive Oil
1 tsp Chilli Flakes
1/2 cup Mozzarella cheese (grated)
Salt, Pepper to taste
For making chicken stock
3 Chicken Pieces with Bone
7-8 cups of water
2 whole crushed Garlic cloves
1/2 sliced Onion
1. Start with washing your rice properly. Then keep aside. Start making your chicken stock too and keep it ready. Now take a pan and add olive oil. When the oil is hot, add chopped garlic and chilli flakes and flavor the oil till the raw garlic smell is gone.
2. Now add your onions and cook till soft. Add salt & pepper. Add your red rice, cook for about 1-2 minutes and then add your red wine and stir till the wine is almost absorbed.
3. Add 1 cup of the chicken stock, stir continuously till the stock is absorbed and the rice starts to get creamy and starchy. Keep pouring & stirring 1/2 cup of stock till stock is absorbed and do this for atleast 45 mins. You have to make sure the rice is cooked and it’s getting creamy. Since this is red rice, the cooking takes a while.
4. Once you’re almost done with the last batch of stock, start with the mushrooms by tossing them in butter, salt & pepper. Once golden on one side, add to the Risotto and stir. Also, add the shredded chicken from the stock to the Risotto and stir. You can season the shredded chicken slightly before adding to the Risotto.
5. Your final touches are to add grated Mozzarella cheese and mix till it melts nicely with the creaminess of the Risotto.
And you’re done! The cooking time is tricky here. So make sure your rice is cooked.