Here’s a super tasty Peri Peri Chicken Salad with a Peri Peri Mayo dressing. It’s such a wonderful salad recipe, with the freshness of the salad greens, the crunch from the lettuce, the flavour bomb from the Peri Peri Chicken and the balance from the dressing, all goes so well together in this Peri Peri Chicken Salad ❤️
The Peri Peri sauce is homemade and a recipe I swear by. I’ve used it countless times and it tastes amazing when I make a Grilled and Slow Baked Chicken marinated in the sauce overnight. You can adjust the heat in the sauce recipe, and a special ingredient I like to add to my sauce is Sriracha Sauce.🔥
So here’s something you can quickly put together with just Chicken Thighs, some salad ingredients and an easy dressing. Do try the recipe and let me know what you think. 😊
Platter and dipping bowl courtesy @yellowmarigoldhomes 🙌
Ingredients (Serves 3-4):
500g Chicken Thighs
1 Iceburg Lettuce (chopped)
8-10 Green Lettuce Leaves (chopped)
1 Onion (thinly sliced)
1 Red Bell Pepper (diced)
10-12 Cherry Tomatoes
1 Cucumber (diced)
1 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Salt, Pepper to taste
Peri Peri Sauce & Chicken Marination:
1 Red Bell Pepper (roasted)
8-10 Garlic cloves
4-5 Birds Eye Chilli (if available) / 3 Dry Red Chiilies
1 tsp Red Chilli flakes
1 tsp Oregano
1 tsp Paprika Powder
1 tsp Salt
1 tsp Pepper
1 tsp Honey
2 tbsp Malt Vinegar (Can use apple cider also)
1 tbsp Sriracha Sauce
1 tbsp Butter
Peri Peri Mayo Dressing:
1/4 cup Peri Peri Sauce
1 tbsp Mayo
1 tbsp Blue Cheese Dressing (optional)
1. Start with roasting your Red Bell Peppers till the skin is nicely charred. Chop the bell pepper in half and remove the stem. Add this to a blender with all the other marination ingredients and blend till a nice smooth sauce like consistency. Pour 3/4 of this and marinate the chicken in the sauce. Marinate for atleast an hour. Leave the other 1/4 sauce mixture for cooking separately for the dressing.
2. Chop all your salad ingredients accordingly, toss with extra virgin olive oil, salt & pepper, and keep aside in a bowl in the fridge/freezer.
3. Prepare your Peri Peri Mayo dressing, by cooking 1/4 cup of the peri peri sauce for about 5-6 minutes till it thickens. Mix it with 1 tbsp Mayo and optionally 1 tbsp Blue Cheese dressing. Let it cool in the fridge.
4. For cooking the chicken – Take a pan, when hot add 1 tbsp Butter and add your chicken thighs (whole) to the pan and cook on each side on high heat for 2-3 minutes, and then turn to low flame and cook covered for 12-15 minutes. TIP: While cooking the chicken, keep basting the chicken with the juices being secreted from the chicken fat. It adds a lot more flavour to the chicken and keeps it juicy and moist. When the chicken is cooked, take the pieces off the pan, leaving the juices in the pan. Chop them into bite sized pieces, and then toss them again in the pan with the leftover juices for that added flavour.
5. To serve, add your salad ingredients first and then add your chicken pieces over it with some dressing, and you’re done! This salad is filling enough in the right quantity as good as a meal.
Check our more salad recipes.