An Indian street food favourite made right at home. Here’s my version of Pav Bhaji with a masala that was homemade, and plenty of buttery goodness for that street food like guilt trip. The recipe is inspired by @hebbars.kitchen and the masala thanks to @swasthisrecipes 🙂
So glad I decided to make this at home. For other delicious recipes, check them out here.
Ingredients (Serves 3-4):
6 Pav Buns
4 Potatoes (peeled)
3 Tomatoes (finely chopped)
2 Onions (small, finely chopped)
1/4 cup Green Peas
1 tsp Ginger Garlic Paste
2 tsp Red Chilli Powder
1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
1 tbsp Pav Bhaji Masala
2 tsp Kasuri Methi
2 tbsp Coriander (chopped)
1 tsp Salt
1 cup Water
3 tbsp Butter
Pav Bhaji Masala:
1 Black Cardamom
2 tbsp Coriander Seeds
1 tbsp Cumin Seeds
1 tsp Peppercorns1/2 tbsp Fennel Seeds
3 Dry Red Chilies
1 inch Cinnamon stick
1 tbsp Amchur Powder
1. Start with boiling your potatoes in a pressure cooker for about 5 whistles (5-10 mins). Once done, mash a little and keep aside.
2. Next, while the potatoes are boiling, make your Pav Bhaji Masala by dry roasting all masala ingredients except the Amchur Powder. Add the roasted spices to a blender along with Amchur Powder and blend to a fine powder. Keep aside in a jar (Makes extra)
3. Now heat a kadhai, add 1 tbsp butter, tomatoes, potatoes, peas, saute for about 2 minutes & then add 1/4 cup water, cover & boil for about 7-8 mins.
4. Take off lid, mix and mash your mixture to a smooth paste. Now add 1 tsp red chilli powder, 3/4 tbsp Pav Bhaji masala, 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder, 1 tbsp chopped coriander, 1 tsp Kasuri Methi and mix well. Add 1/4 cup water, mix well & cook for another 2-3 minutes.
5. Now push the mixture to the sides and leave a circle opening in the middle. Add to the opening – 1 tbsp Butter, 1 chopped onion (keep rest aside), 1 tsp red chilli powder, 1/4 tbsp Pav Bhaji masala, 1 tsp chopped coriander, 1/2 tsp Kasuri Methi. 1 tsp Ginger Garlic paste, 1/2 lemon. Mix all of it and then stir with the entire mixture.
6. Then add 1 tsp Salt, mix well and cook for 1-2 minutes. Add more water if you want as per the desired consistency.
7. Serve in a bowl, with a dollop of butter & coriander on top and onions on the side, served with deliciously buttered and toasted Pav Buns.