Looking for an Easy Burrito Bowl? Ever since I started making Burrito Bowls, I’ve always been tempted to try out new flavours and ingredients. We had some Black Chickpeas/Kala Chana soaked overnight, so instead of eating Chana Chawal, I thought of using them in a Burrito Bowl. 🥗
This Easy Burrito Bowl has Pulled Paprika Chicken Thighs, Buttered Sweet Corn, Black Chickpeas, Roasted Red Pepper Salsa, Iceburg Lettuce Leaves and Rice that’s boiled & cooked in butter & milk. All of this garnished with fresh parsley and a squeeze of lemon. While the cooking is uncomplicated, it takes a while to prepare all of these individual elements. But what I love is when you bring all these flavours and textures together in a bowl. And it tastes so healthy and refreshing. ❤️
Hope you enjoy this version of my Easy Burrito Bowl 🙂
Burrito Bowl with Paprika Chicken, Black Chickpeas, Butter Sweet Corn and Red Pepper Salsa
Ingredients (Serves 4):
1 1/2 cup Rice
500g Chicken Thighs
1 Sweet Corn Cob
1 cup Black Chickpeas (soaked overnight and cooked)
10-12 Iceburg Lettuce Leaves
1 cup Milk (for cooking sweet corn)
1 cup Water (for cooking sweet corn)
1/4 cup Salted Butter (for cooking sweet corn)
2 tbsp Butter (for cooking chicken)
1/4 cup Fresh Parsley (chopped)
Red Pepper Salsa: (makes 3/4 cup – Use as per taste preference)
1 Red Bell Pepper (chopped in half)
2 Tomatoes (chopped in half)
1 Onion (chopped in half)
8-10 Garlic cloves (peeled, whole)
3 Green Chillis
2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 tsp Salt
1 tsp Salt
1 tbsp Ginger Garlic paste
1 tsp Paprika Powder
1 tsp Peppercorns (crushed)
1 Lemon (squeezed)
1. Start with grilling the salsa ingredients – 1 Red Bell Pepper, 2 Tomatoes, 1 Onion, 8-10 Garlic cloves & 3 Green Chillies – in the oven on high heat for 10 minutes. Once done, keep aside and let it cool down.
2. When they’ve cooled down, blend them in a blender with 1 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil and 1 tsp Salt, and blend them till pulpy.
3. Now take a pan, cook your blended salsa for about 10 minutes on low-medium heat till the colour darkens. Once done, transfer it to the fridge and let it cool down. Squeeze lemon before serving.
4. For cooking the marinated chicken – Take a pan, when hot add 2 tbsp Butter and add your chicken thighs (whole) to the pan and cook on each side on high heat for 2-3 minutes, and then turn to low flame and cook covered for 12-15 minutes. TIP: While cooking the chicken, keep basting the chicken with the juices being secreted from the chicken fat. It adds a lot more flavour to the chicken and keeps it juicy and moist.
5. When the chicken is cooked, take the pieces off the pan, leaving the juices in the pan. Shred the chicken thighs by pulling them apart with a fork, & then toss them again in the pan with the leftover juices for that added flavour. Keep aside and ready for serving.
6. Boil your Sweet Corn in 1 cup Milk, 1 cup Water and 1/4 cup Salted Butter for about 10 minutes. Take out cob and keep aside. Remove the corn kernels and keep them ready.
7. In the same Milk mixture, boil your rice till cooked. This gives the rice a wonderful buttery and slightly creamy taste. It tastes really nice. Let it cool down and keep ready for serving.
8. Finally plate up by adding a spoonful of cooked rice, sweet corn, chicken, black chickpeas, lettuce leaves, red pepper salsa and garnish with chopped parsley leaves. Such a healthy bowl!
Looking for more healthy recipes? Check these recipes out.