An absolute flavour bomb, here’s my Chicken Pepper Roast Kerala style. I’ve been eating a lot of pepper fry dishes over the years and wanted to cook one myself. This Chicken Pepper Roast tasted absolutely delicious and I tweaked my recipe by using Sambar Powder as the main masala. The heat on this is on the higher side, but that’s the whole fun of it 😁
Do try this Chicken Pepper Roast for lunch today maybe. You can also substitute chicken with prawns, mutton or any meat you fancy.
Ingredients (Serves 3-4)
1 Onion (sliced)
1 Green chili (slit into halves)
1 tbsp Ginger Garlic Paste
1/2 tsp Red Chili Powder
2 tsp Sambar Powder (Or instead 1 tsp Garam Masala, 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder, 1 tsp Coriander Powder)
1/2 tbsp Coconut Vinegar (Regular vinegar will also do)
1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
1/2 tsp Pepper powder
1 tbsp Black Peppercorns (Whole)
1/2 tsp Fennel Seeds/Saunf
2 tbsp Coconut oil
10-12 Curry Leaves
1/2 tsp Salt
1/2 Lemon Juice
1/4 cup Water
- Marinate chicken with lemon juice, 1/2 tsp turmeric powder, 1/2 tsp pepper powder, and 1/2 tsp salt
- Next grind your whole peppers and fennel seeds. Keep aside.
- Heat a kadhai with coconut oil. Add the onions and green chilies. Let it saute on medium heat till light brown for about 3-4 mins.
- Now add your ginger garlic paste, mix well for a minute till the raw smell goes. Add Red Chilli Powder and Sambar Powder. Mix well, add salt as well.
- Add the marinated chicken. Mix well, add coconut vinegar, 1/4 cup water and cover & cook for about 10-15 minutes.
- Open, the water should have evaporated with a slightly thick masala/dry gravy now and add your pepper & fennel powder mixture.
- Let the chicken cook on low flame for another 5 minutes or until it becomes brownish in colour.
- Finally add your curry leaves and give a nice stir.
For more chicken recipes, check this out.