This is a favourite breakfast dish of mine and right here is the Best Upma Recipe you can find. I love Upma for a variety of reasons. It tastes wonderful, it’s healthy, super easy to cook and you can make this at any time of the day. I tried to enhance my Upma with a special ingredient and the flavour came out wonderful. Served with Mint Coconut chutney ( courtesy: @ang.kha ), it couldn’t taste any better. Do try out my version of the Best Upma Recipe 🙂
Ingredients (Serves 3):
1 Cup Sooji / Semolina (Roasted)
1 Onion (finely chopped)
2 Green Chillies (finely chopped)
1 tbsp Ginger Garlic Paste
15-20 Curry Leaves
1 tsp Mustard Seeds
1 tsp Cumin Seeds
1 tsp Chana Dal
1 tsp White Urad Dal
1 tbsp Peanuts
1 tbsp Cashewnuts
1 tbsp Chutney PodiSPECIAL INGREDIENT
(Podi: 1 tbsp Peanuts, 1 tsp Jeera & 1 Red Chilli toasted & grindedto a powder, mixed with 1 tsp Sambar Powder)
1/4 tsp Hing / Asafoetida
1 tsp Salt
1 tsp Coriander Powder
1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
1 Dry Red Chilli
4 tbsp Ghee
3 Cups Water (for cooking)
1. Start with roasting 1 cup of Sooji / Semolina on high heat until it starts to brown a little and releases the aroma. Keep aside.
2. In a kadhai, heat 3 tbsp Ghee and once hot, add your Mustard Seeds, little it crackle and fry for a few seconds, and then add – Cumin Seeds, Peanuts, Cashews, Chana Dal, Urad Dal, Dry Red Chilli, Hing, 10 Curry Leaves and let it fry for a few seconds, and then add your Onions, Green chillies, Ginger garlic paste and cook till onions soften and start to brown. On medium heat.
3. Then add your Coriander powder, Turmeric powder, Chutney podi and Salt. Saute well.
4. Add 3 cups of water. Bring to a boil and then slowly add your roasted Sooji / Semolina, keep stirring. Cook & stir for a few seconds till the water is absorbed by the Sooji.
5. Now Add 1 tbsp Ghee, remaining curry leaves and mix well. Serve it with freshly made Mint Coconut chutney and you’re done!
Looking for other breakfast recipes too? Check out this wonderful Beetroot Pancakes Recipe.